Mar 2, 2013

Spring Cleaning.


I will miss those tiny green buds,
with their pink and yellow sprouts.
I will miss those marshmallow blue-birds.
Such a shame – I now have to take another route ….

Don’t stop now.

I’d better take care of these things,
there’s a lot to do for Springtime Cleaning.
Better take care of all this in case my
doorbell starts ringing.

Gotta take out the trash, gotta
get the broom and mop and pail.
Gotta make sure I don’t slow down
and look at your mail ….

Don’t stop now.

Clean up the dining room,
but don’t save the treat from you.
Don’t think about how unfair it is that
those candles flickered, but never burned out ….

I wipe down the table, and set it for two –
A habit. So take one place back,
my other dishes it will stay behind.
Pretend it doesn’t matter – pretend to be blind.

Don’t stop now.

Get rid of your new red baseball hat.
Gotta hide the pictures.
So I don’t have to see, I’ll put you away.
Jesus Christ, don’t look at that bouquet!

Don’t stop now.

Get rid of that bath mat you
bought so I wouldn’t fall.
Just sweep, sweep, sweep – everything will be fine.
Just clean, clean, clean and get rid of it all.

Don’t stop now!

It’s okay, it’s okay. Just breathe. Just keep on cleaning.
So that later I’ll come home to my Springtime house like new,
and all of your gifts and all of your trinkets,
will soon be buried

just like you.