Sep 10, 2013

Where I Come From


I come from a land full of lullabies,
of tenor saxophones,
and of photographs.

I come from scrapbooks made to save the memories,
from square patches to save the clothes, and
bobby pins to save the hair.

I come from sand and sea breezes,
from rope ladders and monkey bars,
from tire swings and tennis balls,
from jump ropes – one end tied to a chain-link fence.

I come from many colors:
            from the grey pavement of the street outside;
from a yellow kitchen,
filled with the warm smells of 
curry and golden-brown Polish bread baking,
            and blue marshmallow birds
on the green tablecloth in April.

I come from heat and humidity,
a blackness that people still see as stupid,
and accents that to most will
sound like gibberish.

I come from soft paisley comforters,
            pink bedroom walls –
the paint that was not rolled, but sponged on, 
            over the floral wallpaper.

I come from a little plastic ballerina,
dancing to the tinkling
of a jewelry music box.

I come from beneath the ballerina,
where there was a tiny plaque of gold
engraved with my name in capital letters.

I come out from under the safety of tents built with Karl
            in the living room: blankets pulled taut over bookcases
            and the arm of the tufted, forest-green loveseat,
                        and pillows from everywhere strewn about the red-carpeted floor. 

This was my home. This is where I come from. This is what I know.